Solar Panels

The Economic and Environmental Viability of Solar Power at Whittier College

 

Electricity is a necessity; it powers millions of devices essential for the world we live in today.  However in the United States, only 10% of this essential resource comes from renewable sources.  The remaining 90% comes from carbon sources and nuclear power plants both of which release dangerous chemicals into the surrounding environment.

Screen Shot 2015-11-21 at 3.08.41 PM

 


 

Solar energy is one cost effective method that can be implemented onto the Whittier College campus that offers an eco-friendly and financially beneficial alternative to non-renewable sources of electricity

Benefits of Solar Panels at Whittier College

There are a number of advantages of using solar power at Whittier College.  First, it is environmentally friendly and will provide 2.7 mW of clean, renewable energy offsetting 675 tons of  carbon dioxide which is the equivalent of removing approximately 300 cars from the road each year.  Next the proposed projects would pay off in 10.64 years and have a net profit of $2,137,531.65 in today’s dollars. The project would also bring good publicity to the school since environmentally friendly colleges are more attractive to incoming students.  Additionally, there is a large number a federal and state level incentives that will help cover the initial costs of the solar panels and installation.  These benefits provide plenty of reason to invest in solar power on the Whittier College campus.

 


Works Cited

SEMR REPORT: Whittier College 2nd Quarter 2015. Rep. Sodexo: Quality of Life Services, Print.

“PV Watts Calculator.” National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.

“Weather History for KFUL – Monthly, 2015.” Monthly Weather for Whittier, CA. Weather.com, n.d. Web. 26 Apr. 2015.


css.php